Academic and Registration Information


Registration is the official process of enrolling in classes. NIC is on a 16-week fall/spring semester, followed by a summer session. The student calendar of this catalog has information regarding application and registration dates. Registration information is available at

After applying for admission, and submitting required documentation, students will receive an acceptance letter from NIC which will include information about registration.

Students register by assigned start times through their MyNIC account. Appointment times for continuing students are determined by the number of credits completed. New and transfer students register for classes during their advising and registration appointment.

Students with financial holds may not register until the hold has been cleared.

MyNIC: Student Information on the Web

MyNIC is an online information portal where students receive the majority of their official college communications and are able to access Self-Service options such as their class schedules, unofficial transcripts, admissions and financial aid information, advisor’s name, assessment scores, forms, and important announcements. Self Service is used by students to determine class availability, register for courses, and pay tuition and fees.

After being admitted to North Idaho College, students will receive MyNIC access information.  

To log in to MyNIC:

  1. Go to and click “MyNIC.”
  2. Click on the “New Students and Employees Start Here” button.
  3. Follow the instructions to log in.
  4. Access Self Service by clicking on the button.
  5. Access Cardinal Mail by clicking on the button.

Questions about MyNIC should be directed to the NIC HelpDesk at (208) 769-3280 or

Course Schedule Changes (Add/Drop)

The add/drop period allows students to add classes on a space-available basis or drop classes without transcript notation. Students can make schedule changes online or through Cardinal Central. If the class is a late-start, it may be added through the second calendar day of the class. For all late-start classes, drops with no grade must be processed prior to the end of the second calendar day. Refer to the calendar for full-semester courses add and drop dates.

Drop with a Grade of W from Individual Courses

To drop a course with a grade of W, a student must log-in to their MyNIC account, access Self Service and drop the course. Final dates for drops with a grade of W are published on the college calendar. After the deadline, students appeal a late course withdrawal using the Academic Appeals/Instruction Petitions appeal process outlined in the catalog. A student who officially drops a course with a grade of W by the drop deadline will have a grade of W recorded on their official transcript.

Drops with a grade of W from short-term classes (classes less than 15 weeks in length) must be completed within the first half of the total calendar days; i.e., the deadline for a drop with a grade of W from a course that consists of eight weeks would be at the end of the fourth week.

Students who stop attending a class for which they have registered and from which they have not officially dropped with a grade of W may receive a grade of F.

Open enrollment courses that are dropped any time after the drop week will receive a grade of W even if the course was added after the add/drop week.

Drop with a Grade of W from All NIC Courses

To drop all courses with a grade of W, a student must login to their MyNIC account, access Self-Service, and drop all of their courses. Students who do not meet the published deadline date for that term may petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee if there are compelling and extraordinary reasons. In such circumstances, a student must petition for a late drop with a grade of W using the form available in Cardinal Central. 

Address Changes

Students having correct addresses on file is vital for college records. Students who change their address should update their information through their MyNIC account or notify Cardinal Central.

Grading Policies

Grading Procedures

Letter grades are used to indicate a student’s quality of achievement in a given course. Each of the grades are also assigned an equivalency number, which is used to compute grade point averages:

Letter GPA Status
A 4.0 Excellent
A- 3.7 Excellent
B+ 3.3 Good
B 3.0 Good
B- 2.7 Good
C+ 2.3 Average
C 2.0 Average
C- 1.7 Average
D+ 1.3 Poor
D 1.0 Poor
D- 0.7 Poor
F 0.0 Failing
NG No Grade

Other grades awarded are W (drop with a grade of W or withdrawal according to proper procedure); I (incomplete work of passing grade); P or S (satisfactory – requires at least C or 2.0 work; used for designated courses only and for midterm grades); U (unsatisfactory – for courses in which S is given). Courses in which W, S, U, or I grades have been earned are not included in grade point calculations.

Students wishing to check their grade point averages should use the following formula: Per credit grade equivalency x number of credits per class ÷ grade points = GPA. For example, a student receives a grade of B- in English 101 and a grade of C in Math 108:

English 101:    (B-)     2.7 x 3 credits = 8.1 grade points
Math    108:     (C)      2.0 x 4 credits = 8.0 grade points
8.1 + 8.0 = 16.1 grade points ÷ 7 credits = 2.3 GPA

Academic Appeals/Instructional Petitions

Students should follow the guidelines below to address concerns about an instructor, change of grade, course substitutions, academic sanctions, or other instructional matters.

Note: There are specific program appeal processes and procedures that must also be followed in fields such as Health Professions and Nursing. Please check with an advisor about any such standards and their relationship with the college procedures.

Step 1:
Discuss the issue in question with the instructor to seek resolution or to learn steps for addressing an academic concern. If the problem is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student at this level, the student should determine the immediate college supervisor of the employee or faculty member, typically this is the division chair. For employee contact information, select the division from the department drop down list at

Arrange for a meeting and be prepared to verbally explain the situation, indicate concerns, and suggest possible solutions. If this informal meeting does not result in a resolution, the student may pursue further review that includes getting the advice of the division chair or program staff for the next level of consideration or petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee.

Step 2 A: Admissions and Academic Standards
Petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee for consideration of late withdrawal from all college courses or reinstatement to college following disqualification or suspension. Petitions for late withdrawal must be submitted within two years from the semester in which the late withdrawal is being requested. Late withdrawals for individual classes are reviewed by the appropriate dean. Appeal forms are available at

Step 2 B: Office of the Vice President for Instruction
Unresolved concerns about an instructor or change of grade requests are processed by the Office of the Vice President for Instruction. Requests for grade changes must occur within 30 days of the start of the next term.

Students may also appeal decisions rendered by the Admission and Academic Standards Committee or any academic sanctions imposed as a result of violation of academic integrity (appeal process for academic sanctions is detailed in the Student Code of Conduct and NIC Policy 5.06.01 and takes precedent over any process outlined herein).

Students who wish to appeal should secure an Instructional Petition Form from the Office of the Vice President for Instruction, prepare a written Statement of Appeal, and submit it to the Office of the Vice President for Instruction within seven working days of the decision being appealed.

The Statement of Appeal must contain the following information:

  • Student’s name, local address, and telephone number.
  • A statement of concerns regarding the original decision.
  • Arguments supporting the student’s position.
  • A statement of the requested solution.
  • All relevant supporting documentation.

The vice president or designee will then conduct inquiries as deemed appropriate and shall provide a written decision to the appellant within 15 working days. The vice president for instruction’s decision is final.


A student may enroll in any lecture class on an audit basis. Students are encouraged to attend classes on a regular basis even though they will not receive credit or a grade for the class. Audited courses will not fulfill graduation requirements, do not affect a student’s grade point average, and are not eligible for financial aid funding. The application process and fees for auditing a course are the same as if a student were enrolling for credit. Course enrollment may be changed from credit to audit during the add/drop period. With the instructor’s permission, course enrollment may be changed from audit to credit during the first four weeks of fall or spring semesters or the first two weeks of a summer session. Contact Cardinal Central if you would like to audit a course.


An incomplete is assigned only if the student has been in attendance and has done satisfactory work to within three weeks of the end of the semester (or proportional length of time for a course of less than a semester in length). Incompletes are issued only in cases of extenuating circumstances, such as severe illness or injury. Incompletes are not issued if the student is simply unable to complete his/her work within the specified semester or session. If a final grade of I is recorded, the instructor will indicate in writing to the Registrar’s Office what the student must do to make up the deficiency. The instructor will indicate in the written statement the permanent grade that will be earned if the incomplete is not removed by the deadline.

All incomplete grades must be removed within six weeks after the first day of the following term, excluding the summer session. If the incomplete is not removed by that date, the grade reverts to the grade indicated by the instructor’s written statement authorizing the incomplete. Incompletes may affect financial aid eligibility and will prevent certificates or degrees from being awarded.

Repeating a Course

Students may repeat any course to raise a grade, provided they have not completed a more advanced course for which the first is a prerequisite. While all grades received remain on the record, only the grade received for the most recent course enrollment is counted in computing the grade point average. Note: Repeating a course may affect financial aid funding and may not be permitted if the course has already been used to earn a degree.

Dean’s List

To qualify for the Dean’s List, students must complete at least 12 credits in a semester, earn a semester GPA of 3.75 or higher, and receive letter grades of A, B, C, D, or F in 80 percent of their classes.

Academic Renewal

In conformity with the principle of encouraging and rewarding determination, self-discipline, and achievement, North Idaho College will allow a student to petition for academic renewal under certain circumstances. This means previous poor academic work at NIC would be eliminated from the computation of credits and grade points in the student’s academic record as well as for academic standing and eligibility for graduation.

Eligibility for academic renewal will be subject to the following conditions:

  1. At the time the petition is filed, a minimum of five years will have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.
  2. Before the petition may be filed, the student must complete at least 30 semester hours of course work at North Idaho College with a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average. These courses must be completed following the disregarded semester(s).
  3. Renewal will not be granted for individual courses within a term.
  4. Students holding an associate’s or bachelor’s degree are not eligible for academic renewal.

Students may have a maximum of two consecutive semesters (summer session excluded, unless it is one of the two disregarded semesters) of course work disregarded in all calculations regarding the computations of credits and grade points, academic standing, and eligibility for graduation. The petition to be filed by the student will specify the semester(s) or terms(s) to be disregarded.

If the petition qualifies under this policy, the student’s permanent academic record will be suitably annotated to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward the computation of credits and grade points, academic standing, and graduation requirements. However, all work will remain on the records, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.

Since this is already a policy of exception, no exceptions will be made to the stated conditions above. Students should be aware that this policy might not be accepted at transfer institutions.

Academic Probation, Suspension, and Disqualification

This policy applies to any student carrying credit hours at the end of the drop/add period of fall and spring semesters and summer session.

Students and college employees have a shared responsibility to implement the policy in the interest of upholding standards of academic performance and achieving educational outcomes. Students who are placed on probation, suspension, or disqualification will be notified by the Registrar’s Office after final grades are posted for each semester.

Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 to be considered in good academic standing. Students who do not meet this standard will be placed on academic probation, suspension, or disqualification as defined below.

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. Students on probation who earn a semester GPA of at least a 2.0 will be placed on continued probation until their cumulative GPA is at least a 2.0. Students on probation who do not earn a semester GPA of at least a 2.0 will be placed on academic suspension.

Academic Suspension

Students who have been placed on academic suspension must sit out one semester, summer not included, or petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee to return the following semester. Students approved for reinstatement must abide by any conditions established by the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee.

Academic Disqualification

Students who have been placed on academic disqualification must petition to the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee in order to return to NIC. Students approved for reinstatement must abide by any conditions established by the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee.

Students on probation, suspension, or reinstatement from disqualification who raise their cumulative GPA to at least the minimum 2.0, will return to good academic standing. Students on probation, suspension, or reinstatement from disqualification must have the approval of a designated advisor to register each semester until good standing is achieved.

This policy is separate from financial aid policies governing satisfactory academic progress, and should always be considered whenever relevant for students on probation or suspension as defined herein.

Credit Information

Definition of Credit

A credit, sometimes referred to as semester credit or semester hour, is related to time spent in class, study, preparation, laboratory, or field experience. One semester credit hour normally requires 45 hours of student work, or:

  1. 50 minutes in class each week for one semester (which assumes twice this amount of time in study and preparation outside the classroom), or
  2. Two to three hours in laboratory each week for a semester, or
  3. The equivalent combinations of 1 and 2.

Credit for workshops and short courses is granted on the basis of one semester credit for 45 hours of scholarly activity.

Credit Enrollment Limits

Registering for an excessive number of credits may result in marginal performance. Students enrolling for more than 18 credits during a semester or more than seven credits during the summer are required to get authorization from Advising Services.

Student Classification

Full-Time Classification

A student must register for a minimum of 12 credits each semester to be classified as a full-time student for financial aid; however, in most programs a student must earn at least 15 credits per semester to graduate in four semesters.

Freshman and Sophomore Classification

Students with 0-25 semester credits are classified as freshmen, those with 26 or more semester credits are classified as sophomores.

Credit by Examination

Challenge for Credit

A student enrolled at NIC may petition to challenge courses based on work done through private study and/or employment or to validate courses taken at non-accredited institutions. Students are not permitted to challenge a prerequisite course after having completed an advanced course. Credit by examination is not financial aid eligible and will not be granted for a course that a student has previously taken for credit or audited. Credit will be granted provided the student earns a grade of C or better. Neither grades nor credit earned through the challenge process will be counted in any given semester to determine credit load or grade point average, nor will they be included in computing cumulative grade point averages. Students may challenge a course prior to or during enrollment in a course through the second week of fall or spring semester, or through the first two days of a short course or summer session. Contact Cardinal Central for more information.

Foreign Language Placement

One full year of high school study in a foreign language is generally considered equivalent to one semester’s work in college. To receive college credit for high school or independent work, a student must take an advanced placement examination in the target language and complete the next semester advanced level with a grade of C or better. Placement in and completion of the second elementary level or first intermediate level will enable a student to receive credit for the first elementary level; placement in and completion of the second semester intermediate level will enable a student to receive credit for the first three semesters of the target language once appropriate paperwork has been completed and fees have been paid. Contact Cardinal Central for more information.

CLEP Examination

North Idaho College accepts a limited number of CLEP (College Level Exam Program) general and subject area exams. For information, contact Cardinal Central.

Advanced Placement Examination

In recognition of the Advanced Placement Program sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, NIC will grant college credit for limited examinations based on the student’s score. For specific information, contact Cardinal Central.


Students may graduate upon completion of their program of study at the end of any term. A commencement ceremony is held once each year in May. Students eligible to participate in commencement are graduates from the previous fall or students who plan to graduate in the current spring or summer.

A student must submit a graduation application whether or not they plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. Suggested application dates for graduation are Nov. 1 for Spring Semester, March 1 for Summer Session, or May 1 for Fall Semester. Applications filed after the suggested dates will be accepted. However, early filing enables the Registrar’s Office to evaluate a student’s transcript and determine any course deficiencies in the program of study prior to the student’s final term of enrollment. A diploma will not be issued if a student has not fulfilled all financial obligations to the college.

Final Credits Earned and Exceptions

Candidates for an associate’s degree or certificate of completion must earn a minimum of 12 credits toward the degree or certificate at North Idaho College. In cases where the certificate requires fewer than 12 credits, a minimum of six credits must be completed at North Idaho College. A student may petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee for a waiver in exceptional cases involving specific course or residence requirements for graduation.

Catalog Issue

The catalog in effect at the time a student is first admitted will be used to determine the associate’s degree or certificate requirements for graduation. In no case can the catalog used for program requirements, including general education requirements, be more than four years old. A student whose catalog has expired will be required to submit a new program form updated to the catalog in effect at the time of the resubmission.

Prior Bachelor’s Degree and General Education

Students who submit official documentation of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution will be considered to have met all NIC general education requirements. Students pursuing an NIC program after completing a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution will be evaluated on a course by course basis as appropriate for any program prerequisites or requirements, including course grades, in effect at the point of application.

Credit Limitations

No more than 24 credits earned by examination and 32 credits earned by correspondence or examination may count toward an associate’s degree.


A transcript is a record of all courses for which a student was enrolled at the end of the add/drop period each term. It includes credit hours for which the student is enrolled, final grades in each course, record of withdrawals, courses repeated, grade point average for each term, and a cumulative grade point average.

Requests for Transcripts

NIC academic transcripts are permanent records and are maintained forever. Transcript requests must be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information is available at

Federal regulations require that the request be signed by the student to authorize the release of the transcript. The request should include the student’s full name, maiden name if applicable, approximate last date of attendance, student identification number, student’s current address and phone number, address(es) where the transcript(s) should be mailed, and the student’s signature. Payment must accompany all requests.

Transcripts will not be released if the student has not fulfilled all financial obligations to the college. Transcript production time is usually 3-5 working days during the term. Please allow up to 10 working days at the completion of each term.

Transcripts from Other Schools

NIC does not issue certified copies of transcripts from other institutions. Transcripts reflecting a student’s previous college education that have been submitted to the college as a requirement for admission become part of the official file. Any student desiring official transcripts of credits earned elsewhere must request transcripts from the institution where the credits were earned.

Student Rights and Responsibilities


Students are responsible for attending the courses in which they are enrolled. Failure to attend during the first two weeks of a full-semester course or first week of short-term or summer courses will result in a drop for non-attendance. If necessary, student’s financial aid awards and veteran’s benefits will be adjusted if they are dropped for non-attendance.


Students are expected to read and comply with the NIC Student Conduct and Discipline Code, which may be found online on the Student Resources page or in person at the Vice President for Student Services Office.